The striking Fortress, dating back to the 13th century, dominates the fortified village of Civitella with its imposing remains from a hill strategically placed amongst Arezzo, Siena and Florence by whom it was contested for centuries.
Such appearance was conferred on it by the Bishop of Arezzo Guglielmino degli Ubertini, who endowed the Cassero, built on previous Roman and Longobard strongholds, with imposing fortifications, among which the remains of the Keep still stand out today. Despite the flow of time, we can in fact still admire architectural and decorative elements that make it a fine example of fortification: from the Gothic portal, to the low arched windows, everything reminds us of an elegant and refined building.
The castle experienced its time of splendour under Bishop Guido Tarlati, Lord of Civitella, in the following century.
Among the notable historical events that took place within the walls of the Fortress of Civitella, we must mention the year 1311, when the peace between the Guelphs and Ghibellines of Arezzo, reached at the urging of Emperor Arrigo VII, was signed there.
The almost intact walls of the village, have a characteristic elliptical shape and are interspersed with square towers. Of the two original gateways, Porta Senese and Porta Aretina, only the former survived the bombings of World War II, adorned with a tabernacle with an image of the Madonna and Child by the Della Robbia school, dating back to the 16th century.
Significant to the current layout of the fortress were the events of World War II, during which it was heavily damaged by bombing.
The Fortress of Civitella is a hidden treasure to be discovered little by little, an impressive place where the stones tell stories of knights and great battles to anyone who decides to take a moment to listen.
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /var/www/discoverarezzo.com/httpdocs/wp-content/uploads/cache/2724f663a58fd2a1141094bdd21c395edfe4bf7c.php on line 27