The Church of Saint Peter a Pezzano is located on the Setteponti road. This jewel of Tuscan art from the 14th century is hidden in the old cemetery of Castiglion Fibocchi. This church has had a troubled past. It was consecrated in 1232 and at the time was dependent on the parish church of Saint Quirico Sopr’Arno, which eventually acquired its baptismal font. The church went through a restoration in 1583 but was virtually abandoned during the mid 18th century and left to decay until it was designated as a cemetery chapel and burial place. The roof was restored at the end of the 19th century but during the first 30 years of the 20th century, it lost its original facade, which was unfortunately restored in the style of that time by Giuseppe Castellucci.
Fortunately the interior of the church was preserved and includes a 14th century fresco depicting the Annunciation by Andrea di Nerio. It’s a small masterpiece located in an unexpected place that you only notice because of the shining gold and white robe that the angel wears as he heralds the good news to Mary.