The Civic Museum of Sansepolcro is inside the ancient Palace of the Residence, also called the Palace of the Conservatory, and is famous for housing the masterpieces by Piero della Francesca there. One of these is the Polyptych of Mercy altarpiece that depicts the Madonna of Mercy who welcomes, under her mantle, the community of patrons and devotees from the village.
Here you can see “The most beautiful painting in the world.” It is the large fresco of the Resurrection by Piero della Francesca and is located in the Audience Hall of the museum. This Renaissance masterpiece is an extraordinary representation of the figure of the savior, who stands solemnly as a human and spiritual emblem to the rebirth of Christ. There are two other detached frescos by Piero on display here: the Saint Giuliano, which was discovered in 1954 in the old church of Saint Agostino in Sansepolcro and the Saint Ludovico, from the Palace “Pretorio del Borgo.”
The rooms of the Civic Museum also show the Saint Quintino di Pontormo, a Nativity scene and a Madonna with Child by Andrea della Robbia. There are also works of art by Raffaellino del Colle, Santi di Tito and Matteo di Giovanni.
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the site to function. This category includes only those cookies that allow the normal operation of the portal and the application of any security policies. These cookies do not store the user's useful personal data.
Analytical cookies, on the other hand, are those intended to provide the site manager with purely statistical data such as the total number of visitors to the site and each of its pages for each specific time slot.