The Church of Santissima Annunziata is located on Garibaldi Street in Arezzo and was built in the 15th century around an ancient oratory that originated in the 14th century. It was built by Bartolomeo della Gatta and its facade contains the fresco of the “Annunciation” by Spinello Aretino.
The Church was built in the sixteenth century by Bartolomeo della Gatta in order to house the “Madonna of Tears,” a miraculous statue attributed to Michele da Firenze. The statue had originally been in the vestibule of the hospital of Saint Christopher. There, on February 26,1490, a young man from La Spezia who had returned from Loreto knelt to pray before the sculpture. As he prayed, tears began to miraculously appear in the statue’s eyes. At the end of the 16th century, the Madonna was moved to the high altar of the church and every year on February 26th the miracle of the Madonna of Tears is celebrated. Every March 25th, the Flower Festival is also celebrated at the church because it’s the feast day of the patron saint of the church, “Santissima Annunziata.”
The Church of Santissima Annunziata is a treasure trove of Renaissance art with works of art such as “The Deposition” by Giorgio Vasari, the cycle of six stained glass windows by Guillaume de Marcillat, the “Adoration of the Shepherds” by Niccolò Soggi and the “Virgin Appearing to Saint Francis” by Pietro Da Cortona.